Over the last few days we've had a couple of issues with Imagick and processing PDFs on our servers. As it turns out, these issues are caused by automatic security updates. Let's look into the issue and its solution.
Lately, a lot of cool shell aliases and functions have been posted on Twitter. I've decided to join in on the fun and create a shell function for something I do about 5 times per day: setting up an existing Laravel project.
I feel like programmers are often as good at breaking things as they are at fixing things. Part of the thought process of programming anything new is figuring out its flaws, weaknesses and possible exploitations. As a web developer, I often find myself applying the same thought process to everything I see and read about online. Including Laravel's May Mayhem blog contest.
If you've ever worked on any medium sized API I'm sure you quickly discovered a lot of frequently occurring patterns. Parsing the query string, retrieving necessary models, filtering, sorting, adding pagination and finally encoding the data as JSON. Creating a new endpoint quickly becomes an exhausting chore of making the same decisions repeatedly. To make some of these decisions for us, we built our latest package: laravel-query-builder.